Friday, July 19, 2013

The minimalism bug

Minimalism is seems has become the latest buzz word. Well actually it has been for a few years but it's recently started to become more popular (in my experience that is).

Last year I made an attempt at becoming a minimalist and proceeded to clear our my kitchen cupboards. Anything that I didn't use or had two of was ruthlessly discarded. I felt a mixture of fear and relief at the same time. Fear that I may one day need these items and then live a long and regretful life as a consequence and relief because the process somehow gave me a calm cleansing feeling which made me feel lighter somehow.

However, despite my fears regret has only reared it's head once in the last year. One day I suddenly remembered the potato ricer that I had owned for many years. It had been with me through each house move. All the way to France to live for 5 yrs and all the way back again. In all those years I used the ricer once, once I tell you and that was the day that I bought it, which is far too long ago to remember, probably 1990 something, ish.

So, the day came that I suddenly yearned for my potato ricer, I even remembered who I gave it to (won't mention any names for fear of reprisal). I really needed this ricer because a recipe told me that I did... That makes me want to change to the subject of what we are 'told' to do and how we are programmed to live in a certain way and do certain things...

Anyway, the recipe stated that I required a potato ricer and as a result of this I felt regret at letting mine go. The feeling did only last a short while and I managed to talk to myself and realise that I was being irrational and that I really did not 'need' this particular item.

So, here I am a year on and have again caught the minimalism bug. I have again gone through my kitchen and managed to find loads more to chuck out. I haven't added anything since the last episode yet I have so much more that I feel able to let go of.

I have also tackled two junk drawers and was able to happily discard bits and pieces that I spent years thinking that I needed.

This weekend I hope to tackle the loft. That is going to be a big job because I tend to find it hard to make decisions about what to do with things so I just say to my husband "oh just put it in the loft for now" so as you can guess, there is a bloody lot of stuff in our loft!

No comments:

Post a Comment